Sunday, October 10

Winter Recipe Showdown

I've decided that this winter I'm going to find the best of the best recipes. This is going to be a bigger challenge then some may think, because I have a small problem following a recipe. I always use recipes more as a reference then anything else and it drive Nate crazy because he says he never has the same thing twice. Which would explain why I suck at baking... apparently you can't just "guesstimate" how much baking soda or baking powder you need when making cookies. Whatever.

So I'm starting out with some basics of baking bread. I've rarely attempted bread because I find the outcome so disappointing... when you fall at bread, it really sticks with you.... You put so much time and energy into kneading and rising, rising and kneading and when it comes out of the oven burnt on the bottom, raw in the middle, or has heavy as a water logged mattress, it's hard to recover.

This recipe is the best I've had yet...  OK...I will admit.... I did tweak the original a little (I couldn't help myself!) but I follow THIS recipe the same every time...although I'm going to experiment with the density part of it a little more... when I've got enough confidence to easily bounce back in case it goes wrong.
But everyone loves it here, especially fresh from the toaster then saturated with Houlton Farms Butter , or crisped to golden perfection in the frying pan loaded with fresh tomatoes and ooey-gooey melted cheese...

              Half Whole Wheat Bread

1 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F)
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons oil
4 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons instant active dry yeast
  • Combine first 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; stir.
  •  Add flours and yeast, and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10-15 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with a clean towel and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
  • Punch dough down; knead for a few minutes until smooth and then form into a loaf. Place in greased loaf pan and cover. Let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. If loaf starts browning too soon, put tin foil over top
  • Remove bread from oven and allow to rest in pan for a few minutes. Remove to a wire rack and cover with a cloth.                                        


If you try it, good luck and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© 2014 All text and images on this blog are property of Samantha Richardson.
I encourage you to share from the site and link as you please, I just ask that you give credit where credit is due.
Kudos!